Try this 5 minute relaxation and rejuvenation practice at home, at work, or on the go. This practice is written out for a seated structure and can be adjusted for lying down on the floor.
Step 1: Grounding
- Sit comfortably, feet flat on floor, hands in lap or on thighs
- Let the gaze grow soft or let your eyes close
- Notice any sounds you hear, inside the room and outside the room. Let them fade into the background
- Notice your body resting against the chair or on the mat
- Notice the activity level of the mind
- Notice any emotional tone
- Bring your attention to your breath. Notice your inhale and your exhale (3-5 reps)
Step 2: Movement
- Open your eyes
- Circle the shoulders for 5 breaths, reverse circles for 5 breaths
- Inhale, arms overhead, exhale arms down (3-5 reps)
- Interlace the fingers behind the back. Inhale, shoulder blades together, exhale hold. Repeat three times.
- Do any other movements your body calls for (eg. head right to left, chin to chest, cat-cow, side stretch, twist)
Step 3: Relaxation
- Sit back in your comfortable seated pose. Eyes to the floor or closed.
- Body Scan: bring your attention to different body parts from crown of head, down to soles of feet (eg. eyes, throat, chest, thighs, feet). Notice each body part for a full round of breath.
Step 4: Close
- Notice the quality of the mind and whether it's changed since we began our practice
- Slowly open your eyes